Saturday, October 10, 2009

For One, Please

I feel that there is something odd about cooking or eating with other people.

Perhaps this could be attributed to my inability to multitask but whenever I'm sitting across from someone, my attention to the food dwindles to almost nothing. I have a vague sense that something is eaten, made, and I stop as soon as I think I'm nearing fullness. The food becomes a kind of white noise that sets a timeframe for the conversation: act one, appetizer or beverage; intermission, taking the edge off the hunger by eating most of the main course; act two, dessert; curtain, stepping out and going our separate directions. Or, if something is interesting to make or especially delicious, my attention is diverted back to the food and my companion gets left out in the cold.

But when I'm by myself, I can indulge in the most selfish act possible. I can cook and eat in a way that aims to satisfy my own needs and desires, without need for explanation. Of course, cooking for one can be a pain because it requires planning to do so cheaply, tastily, quickly, healthfully, with minimal cleanup, while maximizing produce before it goes bad; but secretly I love plans and to-do lists. Such is the purpose of this blog: to record what I've done so that I may return to it when I can't think of what to make.

Creamed Mushrooms over Toast
1 slice multigrain bread
1 8 oz package fresh mushrooms (e.g. baby bella), finely sliced
1/2 C cream (or substitute whisked 1/2 T melted butter and 2 T flour, like a roux, into 1 C heated fat-free milk)
2 T butter
chopped thyme (or substitute dried Italian seasoning + a squeeze of lemon juice)
splash of wine or wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Melt butter over low heat and stir fry mushrooms until soft (about 6-8 minutes). Add splash of wine. When wine is evaporated, add thyme and cream. Season. Cook until cream is reduced to a thick sauce. Toast bread. Repeat toasting of bread until full.

Asparagus Frittata
2 stalks roasted asparagus and 1 leek, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 eggs, beaten
1 slice mozzarella, cut into cubes
salt and pepper
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350. Coat ramekin with oil. Fill with ingredients, mix. Cook for 30 minutes.

Tomato Chickpea Salad
1 15 oz can chickpeas, washed and patted dry
Juice from 1/4 lemon
1 firm tomato, diced as finely as possible
5 T parmesan cheese
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper

Irish Oats and Yogurt
1/2 C irish oats, lightly toasted
1/2 C plain yogurt
1 apple, sliced finely
drizzled honey

Hot Cocoa and Raisins
2 T baking cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
hot water
1/4 C raisins

Drink cocoa until sludge remains on the bottom of the mug. Mix raisins until coated to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment