Sunday, October 11, 2009

Preparing for the Rest of the Week

I had moujadra at Mamoun's the other week and I loved it. I am a little afraid of lentils, because -- by reputation -- they are hard to wash and cook. But I figure that if I'm doing this in preparation for the rest of the week, it won't be as bad; especially since I suspect this will taste better the longer it sits. Another favorite is chicken thighs, which is a good base for anything and is very delicious by itself with some veggies.

Moujadra
1/2 C olive oil
3 large yellow onions, diced
1 C green lentils and 1 C cracked wheat, soaked overnight (or at least an hour)
1 C brown rice
water
salt
cumin
cinnamon
parsley
firm tomatoes, cut into eighths
pita bread, served warm

Put onions and olive oil into Dutch oven. Salt and cover. Place in oven set at 350. Drain lentils and cracked wheat. Place lentils, cracked wheat, and rice into rice cooker (1 C water per C of item). Conventional wisdom says to cook them separately but I'm lazy and I've already soaked the lentils. After onions have been cooking for 20 minutes, uncover and let the onions carmelize as much as possible. Assemble everything in the Dutch oven and saute. Salt, cumin, and cinnamon to taste. Garnish with tomatoes and parsley. Serve in pita bread.

Roasted Chicken Thighs
defrosted chicken thighs, w/ bone and skin
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 350. In oven glassware, place chicken thighs. Salt and pepper liberally on both sides of the chicken. Cook for 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment